The Observant Astronomer

The passing scene as observed by an observant Jew, who daylights as an astronomer.

observantastronomer@yahoo.com

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Seasonal Notice

So, it is The Season once again. Yes, that time of year when long-suffering non-Jews bend over backwards to be as inclusive as possible while celebrating their Holiday. So important is it, that they cannot bear to think that there are those of us who simply don't care what they are doing in late December. The Boston Holiday Tree is typical. The Season used to bother me, until I spent a couple of fin Decembers in Eretz Yisrael. Now I find it to be just so much background noise.

The flyer for the department's annual "Holiday Party" appeared in my mailbox last week, RSVP requested. So I informed the department secretary that, once again, I won't be attending their Christmas Party. But if they were really sincere in their quest for inclusiveness, they wouldn't be holding it on a Friday evening.

Then there was the kindly British Professor who made it his business to see that all the foreign members of the department had somewhere to go for Christmas Dinner. He invited me. I declined. He invited the Israeli post doc. He also declined, and added, for good measure, that he'd be coming into work that day.
"But, but," protested the Prof, "What about your wife?"
Responded the puzzled Sabra, "She'll be at home."
"At home!?", inquired the aghast Professor.
"Well that's where she generally is when I go to work."

3 Comments:

Blogger PsychoToddler said...

They are well meaning, but they don't get it.

7:08 p.m., November 29, 2005  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

This is my first "holiday season" after coming back from Israel. I was in a department store a few weeks ago and they were playing in the background all Christmas music all the time. When they got to that horribly missionizing-imperialistic "Do They Know It's Christmas?" song i so wanted to beat something... :-P

12:37 p.m., December 02, 2005  
Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

"At home!?", inquired the aghast Professor.
"Well that's where she generally is when I go to work."


Huh?

2:23 p.m., December 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home