The Observant Astronomer

The passing scene as observed by an observant Jew, who daylights as an astronomer.

observantastronomer@yahoo.com

Friday, August 26, 2005

Homeopathy no better than sugar pill: Metastudy

Could that be because it is a sugar pill?

But be sure to check out the special pleading by the naturopath further down.

I'm reminded of the one time I actually consulted a naturopath at the urging of my brother-in-law. I was there with my wife and young baby. After going down his list of recommendations for diet, lots of lettuce I seem to remember, and so forth, this naturopath looked over at our baby and pronounced that babies shouldn't travel faster than some particular velocity. "Relative to what?", I wondered.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jan and Cindy said...

This reminds me somewhat of a study I read looking at the effects of various types of psychotherapy on patients, trying to see if any particular method was more effective than others. From what I recall, they found that there is only one variable that is highly significant with respect to rate of success of the therapies: The identity of the psychotherapist. It would be interesting to see this sort of analysis done here, but likely the data set used in this study is not large enough to consider a good sample size of repeated treatments by the same homeopath.

8:29 a.m., August 26, 2005  
Blogger Rebeljew said...

Of course, it only doesn't work because the RIGHT people didn't try it. After all, homeopathy has only 200 years to prove itself. Give it time.

10:37 p.m., August 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home